About Me

My photo
Jakarta, Indonesia
I lose important items constantly, and am a failed teetotalist.

Monday 14 July 2008

Limbo Bimbo...

Well. A lot has happened since I last deigned to update my blog, and currently I am too tired to write about it in depth. I didn't have to heart to write previously, as I was still in limbo regarding the Guardian job. I didn't get it, which I knew, but it didn't stop me being dreadfully disappointed to have this finally confirmed Monday just past. Le sigh. I'll post up the feedback shortly.

However, almost two weeks ago now, I got offered a job as a Publishing Assistant for a small company that produces business and finance publications. I accepted it even though I was still waiting to hear from the Guardian, and madly entertained a flicker of hope that I might just get it after all. I started last Monday (the same day I got my Guardian rejection, which may mean something), having completed a final week at the gift company. It's all going very well. I was sad about the Guardian, but I feel like a weight has been lifted, in terms of the future. I know where I'll be for the next year, unless something crazy happens.

Now I just need to find a new place to live!

Already, despite my still looming dissertation (basically untouched so far), I've already been finding London a new place in itself. It's so much better as a nonstudent, aside from the lack of discount I'll have to endure post-September. This weekend was very quiet for me, but wonderful. The London Litfest is on at the moment, and I went to Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie's discussion of their erotic graphic novel Lost Girls. I recommend you look it up, and possibly purchase it from Amazon. It was fascinating listening to two people talking about creating something they both loved (this particular project took them 16 years!). They were both utterly charming and amusing. I got to talk to them afterwards, whilst pathetically getting them to sign my ticket, instead of splashing out on a new book. And I've just spent the rest of the weekend cleaning and writing articles for Treat, they're paying me a pittance to continue generating a basic level of content (how glam!?).

Anyway, it's time for bed. This newly permanently employed working girl needs all the rest she can get!

No comments: